Tuesday, September 28, 2010

It's been awhile....

I must apologize for the lack of posts I have had lately. I will try to do a better job keeping you updated.

So what's been going on lately in first grade?

-Today, Picture day was a success. I tried my best to wipe off any left over breakfast faces, fix hair, and check clothing before each student got their pictures taken.

-Reading, I have been impressed with the amount of students who have been reading their Guided Reading book and getting Bear slips signed daily. All of the extra practice at home is sure showing at school. We have a lot of really good readers. Student's are passing sight word levels quickly and trying hard to pass the levels. If your child has been on a level for a while, continue to practice at home and remember they are only required to pass level 9 by the end of first grade.

-Word Journeys- These last few weeks have been a good trial period. Your child may move groups and that is because we want them to be learning at the right instructional level. We want them to be challenged, but not frustrated. Please take time to look over Friday tests scores, and continue to practice Word Journey words each week. I would like to suggest allowing your child to go to http://www.spellingcity.com/ to practice spelling their words. You will have to type in their word lists. I hope it helped to have their word lists stapled into their planner Monday?

-Math- The Everyday Math spiral curriculum has had students counting pennies and nickles, telling time, problem solving, measuring, etc. already. Students are in the stage of getting exposed to concepts and are by NO means expected to master any of these skills. I cannot believe how many students are bringing home-links back daily. You parents don't know how much this helps your child at school! I can not say thank you enough. Math seems to be a fun part of the day, the students have enjoyed playing the games.

I will try to post some pictures this week.

Thanks for all you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Class Contract

Our Class Contract
Today, the first grade worked together to think of all the rules that will help our classroom run smoothly! They thought of way more than I ever could! Way to go First Grade!!

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.